Monday, March 23, 2015

Reality, an exercise in awareness and gratitude :)

This is a REALLY important post.

Soooo I know people want to look a certain way.  Slender, toned, perhaps a little muscular.  Perhaps like you looked at a certain point in your youth?  Perhaps better?

Here is something you need to know.  It is NOT worth giving up and being negative about your journey, because you have been at it for X amount of time, and you are not there.

The reality is, NOT everyone can look like this ...


...there are SOOO many factors at work in getting to a super slender, lean, look.  I know this isn't everyone's ideal, but it is what some of you wish for, I know - I kind of do!!

Here is the reality her age, her muscle structure, her lifestyle, her dedication to exercising hard enough to get there, while eating a PERFECT meal plan, all the time, AND the fact she doesn't look like this ALL THE TIME!!!  They all play in to being super lean and toned.

People who are in fitness photo shoots, competitions etc, they have an every day look, and then a photo shoot or competition look.  To get THIS lean, they take from 8 - 16 WEEKS and follow what is called a "cutting" plan, where they reduce the intake of carbs and cut their calories back a little, while increasing cardio workouts AND maintaining muscle building workouts to look like this.

Yes there are a few "genetically blessed" people who don't have to do quite as much work, but for the most part we are talking at LEAST 2 hours of cardio and weight training ( maximum effort) 6 days a week, and ZERO off plan meals, snacks, or treats of ANY kind for 8 - 16 weeks to have this look.  The rest of the time they indulge a little, and while they are still fit and slender, they are NOT walking around looking like a sculpture for an anatomy lesson.

Here is my point...your body is doing the BEST it can, with the conditions you are giving it.  Instead of being down on yourself for not getting to where you want to be have a multi focus approach.   Focus on how far you have come.  Focus on what you CAN DO now, that you couldn't before, keep how you look on the back burner.

Here is my belly, at 46, after 2 kids, working out about 12 hours a week, a mix of disciplines...4 hours of gymnastic, 4 hours of karate, 2 hours of Ariel Silks, 2- 6 hours of training clients (so slight effort on my behalf) and in the summer I add in 4 hours of SUP ( stand Up Paddle boarding).  I do EVERYTHING I do, because I LOVE to do it, and it keeps me healthy...I also eat a pretty strict plan of whole foods, 99% plant based.  I haven't eaten any refined sugar in almost THREE YEARS....you would THINK that I would look like the picture above for all that effort, but here is a picture I just took 5 minutes ago.....

 

I am DELIGHTED with what is it, but it is NOT the lean toned look that so many of us are striving for.  DON'T MISTAKE this post for dis-satisfaction.  It is FAR from that....

I started here at age 41... over weight, with no energy, and not being able to do ANYTHING.... in early stage 1 liver distress.

...and now I am strong, fit, and can do ANYTHING I want.   This post is about NOT giving up, just because you don't THINK you look good enough, or toned enough, or aren't strong enough, or fast enough, or anything negative you can say.  

We are too negative with ourselves, on many levels, but ESPECIALLY regarding our looks and where we want to be.

Yes, I certainly hoped by this level of fitness, I had a little less padding at the tops of my arms, and around my lower belly, but fitness is a JOURNEY, not a destination.  My body has come SOOOO far in the past 5 years, it is AMAZING what it has done.  And the big thing I want to get across to you all today is HEALTHY comes in all shapes and sizes.  Here is the definition of healthy...

1. Blood pressure of 120/80 or lower
2. Cholesterol under 200 ( closer to 150 is better)
3. A resting heart rate in the 70's or lower
4. Having a waist size ( when you suck it in) of 34 inches or less ( your risk for heat disease decreases at 34 inches or less).
5. Being STRONG enough to move your body with effort, for an hour a day.
6. Being FIT enough that #5 doesn't exhaust you.
7. Being HEALTHY enough to maintain these things at an appropriate level for your age, for as many years as you can.

NOTE THERE IS NOT A NUMBER FOR SCALES IN THE EQUATION OF HEALTHY.  Your goals should include, but not be limited to those 7 things.  If you have all 7 of those, it DOESN'T MATTER what the scales say.  IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU STILL HAVE A LITTLE LOSE SKIN OR A ROLL HERE AND THERE!!!! 

BEING HEALTHY IS ENOUGH, regardless of what your body looks like.  DON'T sabotage your morale and efforts by being negative about your progress or continued effort.  I cant say it enough...BEING HEALTHY IS ENOUGH!!!!

I am 46
I have 2 kids
My blood pressure is 107/72
My Cholesterol is 103
My liver levels USED to be 98 and 92 ( early liver failure) they are now 18 and 20
My waist is 32 - 33 inches
I wear a size 10
I HAVE ROLLS WHEN I BEND IN THE MIDDLE!!!!
MY ARMS ARE SQUISHY AT THE TOP - even though I can do gymnastics and Aerial Silks.
I WEIGH between 175 and 180lbs!!

I am not the most toned, iron bodied,  trainer you will ever meet.  But I AM one of the most encouraging :)  And I am ENCOURAGING YOU to take where you are, and to focus on getting HEALTHIER and to keep that focus as your goal.  NOT some size, NOT some weight.  HEALTH!!!!  

 I AM HEALTHY AND I AM ENOUGH...EXACTLY LIKE THIS!!!


Let me hear you all say it!!!  IF I AM HEALTHY, I AM ENOUGH!!!!!

Type it in the comments below!!















2 comments: